crazy tales

Thursday, February 16, 2006

oh boy!!!

I read a quote somewhere once, "God put a limit to intelligence; it's a pity he did'nt put a limit to stupidity!". Today, unfortunately, I was forced to understand exactly what that quote means. I was standing in the pharmacy behind the counter (which is strangely enough my safe zone!!!) and this man walks up to me with a prescription. The medicines that have been prescribed are rather expensive and I tell him so. He looks at me with a detached air and said that he did'nt care about how much it cost. Fine! Your money dude! Not mine!!! So I went ahead and filled out the prescription, gave him the usage directions and packed it into a plastic carry bag. I then went up to the cash register and entered the medicines and his name and everything else that has to be done, calculated the total amount and then turned to him to say, "That will be 173 dirhams sir!(approxiamately 47 U.S)". He looked at me with the same detached air and said,"I'll give you a 100 dirhams for it!". What the hell???! I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacist! Not in a fish market or an old time bazaar where you can haggle and bargain until you're satisfied with the price. I looked at him with a 'are you out of your mind' look on my face but he was unmoved. It seemed to me that he believed the price really was up for bargaining. So I smiled at him, took a step back to the counter, took the medicines (that I had ever so neatly packed) out of the bag, looked at him, thanked him for having visited the pharmacy and proceeded to put everything back. At this point he yelled, "Hey!What are you doing? Those are my medicines!". I said to him, "No sir!They are your medicines only after you give me 173 dirhams." He looked at me as though I was crazy! Me! I was getting the 'Oh boy!You belong in the loony bin' look. Then he picked up his prescription and walked out as though he were the king of the land.
Was he stupid? Or was he there just to irritate me and try my patience? The former option I can believe without a problem. If it's the latter, however, then dude! I'm a pharmacist. Don't try my patience! I have more PATIENTS (patience) than I know what to do with. Please! Go find someone else to bother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home