crazy tales

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Wait your turn.

Traffic here can be a real nightmare at times. But at other times it can be a real 'hoot' as well. Like the other day, I was driving to work and was in the 1st lane (or the fast lane) and was approaching a round about. Now the general rule is that if you are in the first lane, then you're supposed to either go left from the round about or you're supposed to take a complete U-turn. This particular road however, is an exception to this rule. You see, after you get past the round about you come to a road that leads to a signal which in turn leads to a very narrow tunnel which unfortunately, is always jam packed. So this means that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lanes are perpetually blocked and unbelievably slow moving. Luckily for me however, being in the 1st lane means that in this particular case I am allowed to go straight and then stick to the 1st lane all the way through so as to take the left turn at the signal. There are'nt a lot of people who go left and because of this I generally manage to get through rather quickly. On that fateful day however, a strange thing happened. Occasionally an idiot who thinks he's way smarter than everyone else gets into the 1st lane, drives all the way down it and then cuts into the 2nd lane at the last possible minute. This is a serious offense and the cops give out heavy fines for this sort of uncouth behaviour. So anyway, I was driving behind a mustard yellow ancient mercedes while I was on the round about and then as soon as we got onto the straight stretch of road- he tried to cut in. He just stopped dead in the middle of the road waiting for the signal to open so he could race in between the cars. I am, sadly enough, not a very patient driver though. Especially when someone's trying to break the law in front of me. So I rapped an annoyed little melody on my horn and steadily increased it's sense of urgency. The guy who was trying to cut into the 2nd lane put his hand out the window gesturing for me to wait. I of course, did no such thing. I blew my horn until I'd worked all the other drivers who were stuck behind me into a frenzy too. Finally the mustard yellow car began to move. But he was a determined old fellow. He inched his way as close as he could get to the car in the 2nd lane so as to give me enough room to carry on. Bad judgement!!! He ended up grazing the black prado in the 2nd lane. Yep! You can imagine how that must have looked. A beautiful black prado stained with mustard yellow paint and a very, very noticable scratch. I on the other hand, now had enough room to pass through and so I did. As I drove past the yellow car I looked in to give the driver a nasty little glare only to realize that he was an officer himself. What can I say? I had spent about 3-5 minutes blowing my horn at a police officer who was breaking the rules that he himself has sworn to enforce. So was he above the law? I don't think so! I'm pretty sure that he's landed himself in very deep shit. But who cares? I know I don't give a hoot!!! Maybe next time he'll just wait in line decently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home